Can I still apply if I was not born in a qualifying country?

There are two circumstances in which you still might be eligible to apply. First, if your derivative spouse was born in an eligible country, you may claim chargeability to that country. As your eligibility is based on your spouse, you will only be issued a DV-1 immigrant visa if your spouse is also eligible for and issued a DV-2 visa. Both of you must enter the United States together using your DVs. Similarly, your minor dependent child can be “charged” to a parent’s country of birth.

Second, you can be “charged” to the country of birth of either of your parents as long as neither of your parents was born in or a resident of your country of birth at the time of your birth. People are not generally considered residents of a country in which they were not born or legally naturalized, if they were only visiting, studying in the country temporarily, or stationed temporarily for business or professional reasons on behalf of a company or government from a different country other than the one in which you were born.

If you claim alternate chargeability through either of the above, you must provide an explanation on the entry form. If you cannot establish a valid claim in the question, your application will be disqualified. You can seek help with this through here.

To check if you are eligible, try our free eligibility test. We will validate using other information too and not only based on your place of birth.

For more information on how to apply for the green card lottery, get your free copy of our Diversity Visa Green Card Lottery Book today.

About DVLotteryStateGov.US

DVLotteryStateGov.US is a privately-owned company that is not in any way affiliated with the United States Government.

Our customers enjoy many benefits not available to people who apply the Green Card Lottery for free on the US Government website.